Thursday 16 August 2012

I have been busy down the valley over the last week or so. The weather has finally started to behave itself and I have been making hay whilst the sun is shining. I have concentrated mostly on the insects, having completed several butterfly transects, and have finally managed to prove Roesel's bush-cricket is using the area.

I first identified this beautiful bush-cricket back last year, but was unable to get a photograph to be able to confirm it. I have had to wait to this year to be able to do so and after finding one whilst doing a butterfly transect, I was able to relocate it a day or so later and grab a hand-held close up. This was once a localised species that was mostly confined to estuaries, but has recently become more widespread. After checking out several web sites, this would seem to be the first time Roesel's bush-cricket has been recorded in King's Lynn!







I had only one record of a white admiral this year, but have now added a second when I stopped for some lunch in Reffley Wood. I was enjoying my sandwiches when one flew in and settled on the boardwalk just in front of me. I have also finally recorded this years first small coppers that appeared on my last transect walk. They shoudl have appeared much earlier in the year, but the poor weather has definately had it's effect!





No comments:

Post a Comment