Saturday 2 April 2011

Friday 01 April

Well, we are into April now and the summer migrants should be starting to return with a vengeance! The weather wasn't so kind today as I went around the valley, with dull dreary skies and a strong blustery wind.

lesser celandine
Whilst I love birds, I try to keep a keen eye out for other wildlife. One thing I am absolutely rubbish at is flower id. I have been trying to find lesser celandine over the last few weeks, and thought I had found some last week whilst returning from work. But I found the leaves were the wrong shape when I checked my field guide later on. But today, I pleased to finally find some.

One bird I have been waiting to return over the last few weeks has been blackcap. I had visited Titchwell RSPB reserve of the North Norfolk coast on Tuesday and, to my slight satisfaction, found they weren't there either. They did , however, have willow warblers singing, so I was delighted to discover that they were now down Gaywood Valley as well. I counted a total of 3 birds for the day.

Then, a little further on (and feeling rather smug), I heard a blackcap singing in Willow Corner. I stopped a while to try and see it, but it remained elusive and I had to make do with its song.

I also managed to add three new species to the Gaywood Valley list. An lone Egyptian goose was seen on the far side, and a pair of coots were seen on the long pond - a bird I have always been surprised never to have seen yet! - and another bird I had expected to see before now was a linnet that flew overhead. This trio now brings the patch list to 86.

A bird that I have seen here before, all be it only recently, is mute swan. There was one on the Gaywood river today and I stopped to take some so-so pictures. But I was a little surprised to find two more on the long pond and couldn't resist getting some close up shots, with this one being the best of the lot.
mute swan
 

No comments:

Post a Comment