Sunday 27 February 2011

Sunday, 27 February

It rained all day yesterday, which can only be described as a "dirty" day. The clouds were dark and low, it was raining, cold and windy. So it was nice to wake up to a nice crisp new day this morning, with the sun out and some warmth managing to permeate through. This put me in high spirits and with the crocuses about to burst open, it was clear that spring was in the air. Unfortunately, no one bothered to tell the wildlife, and I found a very quiet Gaywood Valley today.

There was a great deal of singing during my last visit, and I have even seen courtship displays from several different species of birds recently. But not today. I did manage to hear a distant reed bunting, several greenfinches, wrens and dunnocks singing, but that was more or less it. Everything else seems to have gone quiet again. There seems to be a great deal of Spring activity starting already in the south, but it seems to have retreated from this part of Norfolk for the moment!

It was nice to see a group of three roe deer came bounding through the reed bed at one point, and quickly disappeared into another the moment they realised I was there, and two muntjac deer were grazing happily on the other side of a drainage ditch a little further on.

The little owl is still missing, but I did see a barn owl hunting as I passed through on my way back from work a couple of days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment